Outsourcing marketing to an external marketing and creative team can be a daunting task and there can be a lot to think about and consider. At Voice, some of the brands and organisations we partner with do not have an internal marketing function and, over the years, we’ve gathered insight and understanding from our clients around what is important when outsourcing marketing to an external team.
Tips on outsourcing marketing
- Meet the team and get comfortable with the people working on your account. You need to be confident that they understand your business, culture, industry and the challenges you’re facing. One of the biggest concerns is that the people you meet, may not be the people working on your marketing activity.
- Ensure the team you are working with have experience in doing this for others. Ask to speak to other organisations that are represented to get a feel for how this works and the expectations.
- Agree on the delivery of marketing and creative activity. What does that look like? Does the team have the experience and expertise you expect? Be confident in this as it could result in additional monthly costs for outsourced output.
- Performance and measurement is critical to a working partnership between yourselves and your outsourced marketing partner. What monthly actions have you agreed on? Ensure the team can give you an accurate report on where time has been spent, the activity surrounding that time and KPI’s. Review activity on a quarterly basis to make sure agreed targets and delivery are being met.
- A final point which we believe in is value the relationship as a partnership – not as supplier/client. With both parties, there needs to be a shared vision and understanding of what you’re trying to achieve.
If you’re looking at outsourcing marketing to an external marketing and creative team, or if you would like to know more about our approach to outsourcing marketing, please contact us.